The Gujarati food is famous for its characteristics, taste, flavor and specific spices combination. Well-known main course food as Gujarati Dal or Gujarati Tuvar Dal or Gujarati Toor Dal is famous for its traditional flavor, sweet-sour-spicy taste. It is main course ideal side dish to serve with steamed rice, roti and chapatti.
It has sourness due to Kokam and crunchiness due to pea nuts for giving temptation to your taste buds.
We are giving instant recipe to making Gujarati Dal or Gujarati Tuvar Dal or Gujarati Toor Dal at home without any hassle.
Gujarati Dal (Gujarati Tuvar Dal) Recipe:
Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Recipe Category: Main Course Food, Indian Veg Recipes, Gujarati Cuisine, Gujarati Food
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Serves: 6 servings
Gujarati Dal Ingredients:
For Cooking in pressure cooker:
Tuvar or Toor Dal (Lentils): 1 Cup (soaked in 2 cup water for 20 min)
Tomato (Finely chopped): 1 Cup
Dry Kokam or Punarpuli: 6 to 10 as per sour taste required
Turmeric Powder: ½ tsp
Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder: 1 tsp
Coriander Powder: 1 tsp
Cumin powder: 1 tsp
Garam Masala: ½ tsp
Green Chili silted: 2 pc
Ginger Paste: 2 tsp
Salt: 2 tsp
Jaggery or Gud: 2 tsp
Oil: 2 tsp
Water: 3 cup
Peanuts : 2 tbsp
For addition after cooking and Garnishing:
Water: 2 cup
Coriander chopped leaves: 3 tbsp
Ghee or Clarified Butter: 2 tsp
Mustard: 2 tsp
Cumin (Jeera): 1 tsp
Fenugreek Seeds: ½ tsp
Cinnamon: 2 inch pc
Dried Red Chili: 2 pc
Curry Leaves: 5 to 10 leaves
1. In first step, we need to take 1 cup soaked tuvar dal in a pressure cooker. It is necessary to soak tuvar dal in sufficient water before 20 minutes.
2. Now also all listed ingredients one by one as 1 cup chopped tomato, 6 dried kokum, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder, 1 tsp coriander powder, 1 tsp cumin powder and 1/2 tsp garam masala, 2 silted green chilies, 2 tsp ginger paste, 2 tsp salt, 2 tsp jaggery or gud, 2 tsp oil and 2 cup water and mix well.
3. In the cooker in between all these ingredients, we put 3 tbsp peanuts in a bowl for cooking.
4. Now put cooker on flame for 5 whistle or till cooked dal properly as per your experience.
5. Now take out peanuts bowl and put aside.
6. Now whisk the dal till it turns into creamy and smooth consistency.
7. Now add 2 cup water and add boiled peanuts.
8. Now mix well till get its consistency.
9. Now simmer for 5 minutes.
10. In the meantime, we make tempering by taking 2 tbsp in a frying pan.
11. Now add and splutter 2 tsp Fenugreek Seeds, 1 tsp cumin, 2 inches’ cinnamon, 2 dried red chilli and 5 to 10 curry leaves.
12. Now pour the tempering over dal and mix well. Later add 2 tbsp coriander and mix well.
13. Now Gujarati Dal is ready to serve with steamed rice and roti or chapatti.