Bread is become now a stable food for the morning breakfast in daily life of every human being. It is used to make delicious snacks like omelet, sandwitches, bread toast etc. It is also consumed directly by applying only butter. We can say it become an important part of our daily food diary. Now we are talking here about the main health concern as we should consume white bread or brown bread?
As we know that white bread contains more calories compare to brown bread but in the terms of nutrients brown bread is superior than white bread. Brown bread should be always preferred instead of white bread. If white bread is queen than brown bread is king of nutrients and healthy food.
What is the Bread?
Bread is a baked food product which is made up of flour or meal that is moistened, kneaded, and fermented. The King of breakfast Bread has been a major food since prehistoric times and has been made in numerous forms using a variety of ingredients and methods throughout the world.
How Made Brown Bread?
Actually, Brown Bread is made from the whole wheat flour in which the wheat grains are not processed to remove bran and germ. It is more nutritious and healthy food as it contains more fiber and nutrients than white bread due to being made from whole wheat flour. Furthermore, brown bread is rich in fiber when compared to the white bread. Brown bread contains more vitamins B-6 and E, magnesium, folic acid, zinc, copper and manganese. Brown bread is unquestionably healthier and more beneficial in terms of nutrition, low calories and health. The nutritional value of brown bread is beneficial for adults and people who is focusing on losing weight.
How Made White Bread?
The White Bread is made from the refined wheat flour in which the wheat grains are processed to remove the bran and germ. While white bread contains wheat flour which is bleached with chemicals to make the colour of the bread whiter and extra whiter. Also, refined starch is added in white bread. White bread is low in fiber and nutrients compared to the brown bread.
Pros and Cons of Brown Bread:
1. Brown bread is made from the parts of the wheat grains: bran, endosperm and germ, so it is brown in colour.
2. Brown Bread is made from the whole wheat flour that is the wheat grains are not processed to remove bran and germ.
3. It is more nutritious as it contains more fiber and nutrients than white bread due to being made from whole wheat flour.
4. It is not as soft as white bread as it contains bran.
5. It is not processed much.
6. Vitamins and minerals are not added to it as it already contains enough nutrients naturally.
7. Whole Wheat Brown Bread contains Calories 70, Fat 1 g, Carbs 14 g, Fiber 2 g, Sugar 2 g and Protein 3 g.
Pros and Cons of White Bread:
1. White Bread is made from the endosperm of the wheat grains that gives it its characteristic white colour.
2. White Bread is made from the refined wheat flour that is the wheat grains are processed to remove the bran and germ.
3. It is less nutritious than brown bread since the fiber content is removed from it while its processing.
4. It is softer than brown bread as it lacks the bran and germ.
5. It is highly processed and mainly contains starch.
6. Vitamins and minerals are added to make it more nutritious since it does not contain any nutrients naturally.
7. White Bread contains Calories 70, Fat 1 g, Carbs 15 g, Fiber 0 g, Sugar 3 g and Protein 2 g.
Why Brown Bread is better than White Bread?
1. White bread is usually prepared using ‘Maida’ or refined wheat flour. This makes it more diverse in taste and suitable for making delicious sandwiches. While Brown bread is prepared from 100% whole wheat and added ingredients for colour, softness and taste. These are rich in fiber and thus are an ideal choice for good health. Overall, White Bread is better than Brown Bread taste wise while Brown Bread is superior than White Bread Health wise. Now your decision, what you have to choose between health and taste?
2. On the basis of the Nutrition and Calories, White bread is made up of maida therefore it is high in fats and calories which makes it harmful for the people who wish to lose weight or intake less calories. White bread is not healthy in terms of nutrition however artificial nutrients are added to it to make it diverse. While Brown bread is made up of wheat flour at atta which makes it free of extra carbs and calories. This makes brown bread fit for the Keto diet as well. Also, it is rich in fiber and other nutrients.
Overall, Brown bread is definitely healthier and more fulfilling in terms of nutrition and calories. The nutritional values of brown bread suit adults and people focusing on losing weight. However white bread can be consumed by young people.
3. On the basis of the Glycemic Index, White bread is made up of maida and has no fiber therefore it is higher on the glycemic index and not recommended for everyone. While Brown bread is made up of whole wheat flour therefore its glycemic index is comparatively low and can be consumed by everyone including Keto dieters and people with type 2 diabetes wherein foods which are low in glycemic index are prescribed.
Overall, Brown bread which is low on the glycemic index leads to lowering the sugar level in the body hence reduces the risk of diabetes and other heart-related diseases in the body.
In conclusion, the brown bread proves itself superior in terms of health and nutrition in comparison to the white one in many aspects therefore in most cases brown bread should be chosen. White bread can also be eaten in moderation by healthy and young people who are on a regular balanced diet and exercise.
Precautions when you purchased it:
Always read the label!
It is very important to know that you are consuming real brown bread or chemically processed brown colour white bread. Please check the ingredients on the bread wrapper. If ingredients is showing anything named caramel then it is simply brown coloured white bread which has given brown colour by mixing caramel. If it is really a brown bread then there will be no any caramel in the ingredients. It will automatically get brown colour due its whole wheat parts include bran and germ without adding any caramel. Please check ingredients on wrapper before purchasing if you are health conscious.
Anushri Sanjeevani Videos for Brown Bread Vs White Bread: