On the occasion of Navratri, all devotees follow the colour code for their dress on respective day. There are 9 days, 9 colours and 9 devi avatar for worshiping goddess Durga in unique way as per traditions.
Generally, each day is dedicated to one particular
form of Goddess Durga and each day has a significance in terms of colour also.
Devotees not only wear those coloured dresses for that day, but also decorate
the idol of Goddess in that specific colour. The devotees offer a particular
coloured saree to the Goddess on each day. Each colour has a significance of
its own and signifies various forms of the Goddess.
Goddess Avatar and related significant colour:
1. Sky Blue represents Goddess Bhuvaneshwari
2. Grey represents Maha Kali or Bhairavi
3. Pink represents Goddess Chinnamasta
4. Green represents Goddess Jagadamba
5. Deep Blue represents Goddess Narayani
6. Parrot Green represents Goddess Amba
7. Orange represents Goddess Tara or Chamunda
8. Royal Blue represents Goddess Renuka Devi also known as Matungi
9. Red represents Goddess Durga
9 days 9 goddesses 9 colours. On the basis of tithi or day of navratri 9 goddesses are worshipped during the period of 9 days.
Goddesses have particular day of the week to be worshipped on. So actually the day of start of Navratri decides which colour pattern will be followed.
Colour Code for Navratri: Generally, each week day represents a specific colour for worshipping goddess.
Colour Patterns as follows:
1. The first Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday will be having White, Red, Royal blue, Yellow, Green, Grey and Orange. in whichever order they come. 7 days hence 7 colors.
2. The first repeating week day that is in second cycle of week the colors followed are Pink and purple and/or sky blue alternatively. + 2 remaining days +2 colors
Colours Pattern for 2019: Day 1: Ghatasthapna/Pratipada: (29 September 2019 – Sunday) – Orange
Day 2: Dwitiya (30 September 2019 – Monday) – White
Day 3: Tritiya (1st October 2019 – Tuesday) – Red
Day 4: Chaturthi (2nd October 2019 – Wednesday) – Royal Blue
Day 5: Panchami (3rd October 2019 – Thursday) – Yellow
Day 6: Shasthi (4th October 2019 – Friday) – Green
Day 7: Saptami (5th October 2019 – Saturday) – Grey
Day 8: Ashtami (6th October 2019 – Sunday) – Pink/Purple (Repeated Day)
Day 9: Navami (1st October 2019 – Monday) – Purple/Sky Blue/Peacock Green (Repeated Day)